Thursday, February 4, 2010

Calypso Tents

So I got the chance to go to a Calypso Tent last night, they are popular around Carnival and there is a big Calypso competition throughout the Carnival weeks. Mostly, it is social commentary put to music...some were really funny and some were serious, but all had a good beat! The singer will come out and perform and then if the audience likes them, they get called back on stage for another verse (which the best improvise). If you know me, you know that I'm not the best with lyrics in the first place, then with the accent and the lack of background knowledge, I had trouble following along...luckily Susan and Christian helped explain everything!!
It was a fun night and I have a video to give you a little flavor of it!




This one is a Steel Pan solo

No comments:

Post a Comment