Saturday, May 22, 2010

2 People, 1 Room, 7 Days

BRENTON CAME TO VISIT! Woohoo! Brenton left yesterday after a week long visit to Trinidad, now he is back to Davenport, IA to do a summer internship with the Core of Engineers. We had a great time during his visit, really embracing the idea of Trini time, spending most of the week just relaxing and hanging out. We did get to spend a couple days in Tobago, staying at a great little guest house in Bucco, right on the beach. Bucco is also the home of Sunday School, which is a big party every Sunday night with lots of food, drinks and pan. It was fun until I slipped and fell, cutting up my knee like crazy. I am blaming it on the slippery, rain-soaked pavement, but Brenton attributes at least some of it to the rum punches I had with dinner!



The highlight of Tobago was going snorkeling and fishing, although we both got a little motion sick in the boat! We got to see lots of colorful, little fish scurrying in and out of the coral, but I'm not so skilled at using the snorkeling masks. Fishing we caught 4 barracudas and we had 2 more get away...these 2 were on my line and while it is likely that I just didn't reel them in right, I'm going to pretend that they were really big, far too strong to be reeled in. We got to keep 2 of the fish (we don't know what happened to the other 2, they just disappeared!) and the guy who runs the guest house helped us make fish broth and BBQ fish, both delicious!




Throughout our days in Trinidad we watched lots of good bootleg movies...Trinidad is full of bootleg copies of brand new, just out in theatres movies. We did lots of cooking...I have missed Brenton's breakfasts, he makes such great eggs! We ate lots of great Trini food too...Brenton loved doubles but didn't like the coconut water so much! Our last day, we went golfing and had a really good time. Although I think my score was at least double his! We got pretty darn close in these last 7 days since we spent lots of time at my place, which has everything all in one little room...bathroom and all! Having to go to the bathroom in the same room all the time is real, true love!! The whole week was really wonderful!




On a side note...I went to Mayaro today with Christian, Susan and Christian's parents and here are a couple pictures from that. We found live sand dollars, which I had never seen alive before, so cool! The palm trees were amazing, there were so many, it was beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment