Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Maroon Umbrella: My New Favorite Accessory

We've officially entered rainy season. I came to this conclusion as I noticed the plethora of puddles, the greener landscape, the umbrella pushers on every major corner and, of course, the daily rain showers. I know, I should be a detective with this kind of deductive power. My umbrella is now with me everywhere I go and I am beginning to get a much better understanding of the Trini lifestyle. Things here move at a generally slow pace and time is a relative thing. During the dry season it is freakin hot, rarely are there even clouds in the sky to provide some relief. There is just no reason to move at a high pace with that kind of heat. Then the other half of the year is the rainy season, where there is some slight heat reduction but the sky will open up and dump sheets of water at any given time. The weather report may be able to tell you that it is more likely to shower in the morning than afternoon, but there are no further specifics. And it could look perfectly sunny and pleasant out, then boom, big clouds roll in dropping buckets of water and then they are gone, not 10 minutes later. If it starts raining, it is perfectly acceptable to duck into the nearest shop and wait it out, no matter what the delay will make you late for. So schedules are tough to keep, and while that would usually drive me nuts, the rain I got caught in today made me totally understand!

Other exciting things have been happening here in Trinidad...they just elected a new Prime Minister, and it was a women! The previous Prime Minister called a snap election about two and a half years before the scheduled election was due (so that would be like Obama saying hey why don't we do this election thing all over again, and you are going to vote in a month, and that is what happened). So the opposition joined forces, preaching change, and change happened. The first women Prime Minister...pretty cool. Elections here are like big parties, campaigns are punctuated by catching songs and rallies are held daily, complete with food, drinks and more music. I'm excited to see what this change will bring over the next few months...again, unlike the States, the new Prime Minister takes office THIS WEEK, no transition period, boom she's rolling!

My research is also starting to really move, I am conducting a survey tomorrow with the nursing department at my first facility and have a couple meetings with health big shots this week. I'm really excited that everything is picking up and can't wait to see how the surveys turn out and to start on my time studies. I'm a bit freaked out too though...I really have no idea what I'm doing in research and am definitely learning as I go, but ya gotta start somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment